Friday, July 11, 2014

Five for Friday... right?

Ahh... Friday.... right?  I only know because I saw people linking up to Doodle Bugs Five for Friday linky party!



Back in February, I made the decision that it was time to leave the neighborhood I was in.  As in, NOW.  There had been increased drug activity and parties.  A liquor house had opened up next door.  Then the weekend of the big ice storm there were 2 shootings.  It was time to go.  I looked and looked for something this single mama teacher could afford.  I realized I wasn't going to find something at the same price range but I did find something that was worth the additional money.




A pool AND a playground right out my back door!  It was a stretch, but I made it work.  As soon as we moved in April, I knew it was the right decision!  Michael would come in the front door and right out the back to go play!  We were told the pool would open in May.  So we waited.  And waited.  The pool remained a nasty brown-green.  At one point, they drained the pool, cleaned it and refilled it.  Only to have it go back to nasty.  After a community complaint effort, where we all called and emailed and requested a rent reduction since the pool wasn't working- they got the pool working.  In time for me to go out of town.  Sigh.  We came back, spent a couple days at the pool, and them the weather went yucky.  Sigh.  

My school district gets a grant to feed all children in our district free breakfast!  It makes my mornings go a LOT smoother because if I had to feed Michael in the morning- we would NEVER get out of the house.  To survive the summer, I've dusted off one of the easiest hot breakfasts ever.  

Cinnamon Toast!
It's so easy I can make it while my coffee brews.  I make a big bowl of cinnamon and sugar at the beginning of week.  In the morning, I turn the oven of 250.  Start the coffee pot.  Butter the bread.  Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture.  Put it in the oven for 10 minutes.  Fix my first cup of coffee.

My school is linking up with High Point University to start a STEM club.  I'm super excited about it.  I go to the first week of training next week but before the training.  We had to take a pretest and work through an online module called Lost Function.  It has 9 (I think) modules and it's kicking my tail!  It is some complicated math.  I'm determined to do well though.  If I choose to do Tier 2 of the grant, the summer after next will involve a trip to NASA!  The trip is like a carrot dangling in front of my head.  I'm a little concerned though, because Tier 2 involves a graduate level math and a graduate level science class at HPU.  I"m not sure I'll have time to do those.  Hopefully I'll find out more next week.

I've decided to implement more Whole Brain Teaching into my classroom this year.  I'm off to the book store later this evening to get some reading material.  Anyone else implement Whole Brain Teaching?  What are your favorites?  What can you tell me about it?


I just bought a Christmas present!  EEEK!  I've never started this early before.  However, this one is expensive so I wanted to start early.  The play-i robots have crossed my facebook feed a few times and I was considering one as a Christmas gift.  However, this summer, Michael has started talking about robots and computers as a real interest so I've decided to jump on it!  Here's a quick video if you haven't seen them!


Right now, it only runs on iOS which means I will need to buy an Apple product of some sort as well.  Everything I own is Android based.  So I'm buying the robots now so I can snatch up an iSomething during the pre-Christmas sales!

Anyone else started shopping?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! I look forward to reading what you have to say!

Home About Me Freebies Copyright Information TpT Image Map Instagram Facebook Pinterest