Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Too much testing?

Recently, my colleagues and I have been frustrated because we were high on testing and low on teaching.  We all felt like we were testing, testing, testing.  As Kindergarten teachers, we felt we should be doing more exploring and learning.

My suspicions were confirmed when one of my sweet girls brought a stack of note cards about 3 inches tall to school.  When I asked her what they were for, she replied that they were 'for testing'!  I was speechless.  She carried the cards around all day.  At recess, the girls lined up to be 'tested'.  One girl cried because the line was too long!


When the kids are playing 'testing' I think we need to see the signs around us.  How do you balance your testing and your teaching?



3 comments:

  1. This is a good story for the policy makers which cause so much testing to be done. We do need to collect data on children's learning, but I think we should find a more kid friendly approach!
    Forever A Teacher, Forever A Learner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely! I am not against assessment of students, I just think there is a better way!

      Delete
  2. Yes! There is so much testing! I utilize group testing when possible but so much of the assessments in the lower grades requires individual responses. I try to work through the testing as quickly and as accurately as possible.

    Zoom Zoom Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! I look forward to reading what you have to say!

Home About Me Freebies Copyright Information TpT Image Map Instagram Facebook Pinterest