Friday, March 8, 2013

Struggling with Sight Words?

We all know how important those high frequency words are right?  And we know how frustrating it can be to listen to a reader who doesn't know them, right?

One of my favorite ways to work on that is through these books:




You can find them at https://myshortbooks.com/Home/Index.  These books were designed by a lady named Loretta Short after she became frustrated with overly predictable books that did not focus on sight words.

Each book uses a sight word as it's title.  The books are simple, but not predictable.  I LOVE that they are not predictable.  I understand the place for predictable text, but I have seen so many kids 'memorize the pattern' and not pay attention to the actual words.

I also like that the books build on the previous words.  The first book is 'a'.  The next one is 'I see', so in that book they feature all three of the words.  This allows for review of the sight words.

I use these books in multiple ways.  Currently, I am using them for remediation of kids who are struggling with their sight words.  I take each child's data notebook and a list of the books.  I start at the top of the list and check which words the student knows.  When I find a word they do not know, I pull that book and put their name on a little sticky.  The book then goes into the volunteer basket.  When I have parents volunteers, they know where the basket is and what to do.  I don't always have parent volunteers, so my assistant and I pull books through out the day as time allows.  We make sure to read the book with the child several times and then they put the book in their baggie books.

What is your favorite strategy to help kids with sight words?



3 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out those little books. Sight words are so important for our beginning readers. We cheer our sight words A LOT. My kiddos also love games like Roll, Say, and Keep and Spin and Graph.

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cheer our sight words too. My girls love to cheer like a ballerina, but I think it's mainly to hear the boys groan :)

      I'm on my way to check out your site!

      Delete
  2. I will have to check out these books! Thanks for sharing.
    groovyeducator.blogspot.com

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! I look forward to reading what you have to say!

Home About Me Freebies Copyright Information TpT Image Map Instagram Facebook Pinterest