Thursday, March 28, 2013

SCOOT on over here!

 Have you played Scoot with your kids yet????

OMG, I was amazed at how much my kids loved it when we played earlier this year.  They were so engaged and so focused!  I'm guessing the movement part is really helping them focus.

Today, I am going to show you my Nonsense Word Sort with the Game of Scoot.  Last week, I played it with my class AND my intervention group and BOTH sets of kids loved it!

Here is the set so SCOOT on over and get it!

To play Scoot, you place a card at each spot.  Each card has the problem to be solved.  Students rotate around the places, solving and recording the answers.  My favorite part of the game is saying 'sit.. start... stop... stand... scoot!'  For my Kindergartners, we mostly play around their tables and sometimes they go to another table and rotate around that one!



For the Nonsense Word Sort, I created real and nonsense CVC words and put them on eggs.  Students were given a sheet with 2 columns, one for real words and one for nonsense words.  Students rotated around their table.  They read each word on the egg, decided if it was a real word or a nonsense word, and wrote it in the correct column.  Each table has 5 or 6 seats.  Students rotated around 3 tables this day, so they all practiced reading 15-18 CVC words!  I had some kids who are still struggling readers, so my assistant and I stuck near them and helped them sound out the words.
When you first introduce the game, it is important to practice the movement from seat to seat.  First I showed one table how to move with my directions (sit... start... stop... stand... scoot) and then they practiced and modeled for the whole class.  Then the whole class practiced moving around their table.  It took a few rotations for all the kids to get it.  Typical mistakes from students were moving in the wrong direction and moving too many seats.  Students generally got it after a complete rotation around their table.

I also have a FREEBIE for you.  This Scoot: A How to Play Guide will help you get your kids moving in the right direction.  It includes directions and arrow cards to show your students which direction to move.

So go... SCOOT out of here and get to work!

When you're done... head over to
Welcome to 2nd Grade Pad
 to find some more great Take It and Make It activities!

2 comments:

Thank you so much! I look forward to reading what you have to say!

Home About Me Freebies Copyright Information TpT Image Map Instagram Facebook Pinterest